It's true, good things come to those who sweat! It’s a no brainer that a regular workout routine does wonders for our bodies and minds - but what about our skin? The good news is that a regular fitness routine is equally beneficial for happy and healthy skin! However, there's a few precautions to ensure you’re giving your best effort to avoid the negative effects that can sometimes be triggered by exercise.
Working out has plenty of skin healthy benefits:
- Increases blood flow, oxygen and nutrients that help skin repair itself - it’s also where that healthy glow comes from.
- Improves collagen production which strengthens skin’s structure - think: less wrinkles, tight skin and youthful glow.
- Improves immune system to ward off stress induced skin breakouts and premature aging.
The flip side: exercise can trigger some undesired (but manageable) effects:
- Dehydration from sweat evaporating off skin’s surface and more frequent showers/bathing.
- Skin sensitivity with redness and irritation.
- Increased breakouts and congestion.
Skin is the body’s largest organ and one of its key functions is to eliminate waste like excess salts, ammonia, urea and sugar by flushing it out through our sweat. Keeping skin clean pre and post workout is important to avoid unwanted irritation or breakouts. Follow our simple recommendations to keep skin hydrated, healthy and glowing before and after every sweat sesh.
- Make sure skin is clean of any makeup or residue of the day. If you workout first thing in the morning then you’re good to go. If you’re working out in the middle or end of day, opt for a gentle cleanser or cleansing wipes so you can start with a clean slate.
- Moisturizing is optional but if you do, reach for something light like a nutritive face oil or hydrating spray toner. If you'll be outdoors use a lightweight 30 spf moisturizer. If swimming, a silicone based moisturizer can protect skin from chlorinated water.
- Keep hair off your face - the residue from hair products could cause irritation.
- Remember to drink plenty of water before, during and after!
- After your workout, it’s important to let the body cool down so it stops flushing toxins through sweat.
- If you shower immediately, use a cooler water temperature, pat (not rub) skin dry and use a vitamin rich body moisturizer.
- For the face, use the same hydrating toner and a calming or nutritive oil/serum followed by a lightweight moisturizer.
Other tips to keep in mind when working out frequently
- Avoid chemical exfoliating products immediately before or after working out or sun exposure.
- Don’t use Vitamin C or skin lightening products before sun exposure. Use them after when you won't have excessive sun exposure and remember the SPF!
- Shea butter or other plant butter based products are the ideal choice for skin that needs soothing and re-hydration after sun exposure or chaffing.
- Bathing in mineral rich salts help replenish what's lost during exercise while also soothing sore muscles.
Shop Lucabello workout recovery for sore muscle relief and healthy skin.